A water leak is one of the most common problems that homeowners and also insurance companies have, water damage in your home is extremely costly and one of the most surprising situations. Detecting them early is key, you will save money and time.
You must keep an eye on the water that you are using; here are some useful tips that can detect a water leak even if you can not see any water by:
- Check your water usage.
- Notice a drop in water pressure when you are taking a shower.
- Monitoring when your hot water heater/boiler comes on.
Call an expert, before it is too late, and you wake up with a flooded kitchen or a hole in the ceiling.
International Drywall System can help you detect your water leak, we have specialized technology that allows us the early detection of a water leak.
Is a water leak always joined by black mold?
Black mold thrives in damp, humid areas, such as the exact environment created by a water leak trapped behind a wall, every time there is a leak you are exposed to black mold.
How dangerous is black mold to health?
There is a commonly held belief that black mold — sometimes called toxic mold — can cause severe health problems because it releases mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are toxic substances that a fungus produces.
One such health concern is mycotoxicosis — mold poisoning. Others include:
- aches and pains
- changes in mood
- memory loss
Getting rid of mold
To do this:
Remove visible mold growth from hard surfaces with a commercial mold removal product, hot soapy water, or a mixture of 1 cup of bleach per gallon of water.
Remember to ensure a proper ventilation around the damage area, Limiting the humidity level and ensuring the area has plenty of ventilation once the area has been cleaned will help ensure that black mold does not return to your home.
Once the mold area has been cleaned call a professional such International Drywall System to make sure that mold is away from your home. as the only thing worse than a mold infestation is a mold infestation that returns because a leak is still happening. Depending on how long an area in your home has been exposed to black mold, walls, portions of ceilings, or fixtures may need to be replaced to deal with the damage caused by decomposition.